Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Just Waiting To Be Adopted

My sister's registered labradoodle, Maggie, just gave birth to nine puppies, including six males and three females. If you're interested in getting first dibs on the new litter, let me know. The females are available for $750 and the males for $700. They should be ready for adoption, vaccinations included, by October 10. Labradoodles, a cross between a labrador and a poodle, are described as "sociable, friendly, non aggressive, and extremely intuitive." They are considered to be highly intelligent and easily trained as guide dogs, therapy dogs and other assistance dogs. They have non allergic coats.

8 comments:

Sir Hailstone said...

Since when were Labradoodles recognized by the AKC?

Cute pups BTW ..

Gary R. Welsh said...

Mike, I'm not sure of the proper terminology. Maggie has registration papers. There is an international association that registers labradoodles. I don't think the AKC recognizes any cross-breeds, am I correct?

Sir Hailstone said...

Some breeds that were the result of crosses have become breeds in their own right but it takes many generations to earn AKC recognition as a breed. Similar with CFA and TICA when it comes to cats.

Makes sense it would be a group separate from AKC that would recognize and register the poodle crosses.

artfuggins said...

All I know is a friend has one and it is has a personality exactly how you described, is intelligent and if I wanted a dog, I would seriously consider one.

IndyPaul said...

I'm glad my daughter doesn't read this site, or I'd be in line for a labradoodle.

garyj said...

A friend of mine has one. He got bigger than expected and is just plain goofy! All puppies are cute, just like kittens. They are also a lot of responsibility!

Gary R. Welsh said...

They vary in size, Garyj, so it's good to inquire about the parents' size in advance. As I explained to someone else who asked, Maggie, the pups' mother, is comparable in size to a labrador with perhaps a slightly slimmer build. She is not goofy; she has a very pleasant demeanor and enjoys being around kids.

Gary R. Welsh said...

To further clarify the registration issue, Maggie is a registered Labradoodle with the CKC (Continental Kennel Club) not the AKC (American Kennel Club). The nine puppies will be registered with the CKC.